Friday, March 5, 2010

A Telegram Postcard for PFF!



I'm not sure if you l can read the back, but it was sent to a Miss Mabel Lamp, March 5, 1910 at 7:30 am. The author, M.H. (also a Mabel) writes to ask Miss Mabel to meet at a show,....back when very few people had phones, and postcards or telegrams were the fastest way to reach someone. I found it lovely that the author asks to make sure you write back, "make sure you answer this postal and if not, make sure and meet me". From the sounds of it, Mabel will take the quarter past 6 train and will reach her destination (South Schenectady, NY) by 7 o'clock. I looked the places up on google and found they are about 30km apart, so that makes sense. Ballstone Spa looks like a charming little place, with a National Bottle Museum!



Hope all is well with everyone today. It's looking like a gorgeous day out there, can't wait to get started!
Enjoy PFF, and don't forget to head over to The Best Hearts Are Crunchy to see who else has linked a postcard this Friday!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful piece of history!!
Have a great day!
Love,
Marilyn
xxoo

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet, you looked it up...how romantic is that? Communication certainly has changed....but is it really for the better? Where is the charm of day's gone by? I try to still write letters by hand, the old fashioned way!
loved your post today!
ciao bella
carmelina

Joy said...

What a pretty way to receive a message. I've seen messages like that on ordinary postcards, things moved a lot slower then. I wonder when the National Bottle Museum arrived, post that beautifully clear postmark possibly.

Beth Niquette said...

I adore this postcard--I've never seen one like this before! Thank you so much for sharing with us!

Happy PFF!

MuseSwings said...

Love your post! A pretty message and interesting info about it!

Mary said...

Very interesting. I hope Mabel had fun!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

That's a new sort of card for me! It's so pretty and I love the embossing on it.

Vivianapachecofineart said...

Yeah, it's very unique...I've never come across one like it either,I have a huge collection and this one is one of my favourites! I also like that because it was before ball point pens, you can really tell when the pen was freshly dipped in ink, and when it starts to run out and is re-dipped. Thanks for all the comments.

Postcardy said...

That's a cute postcard. I have seen pretend telegrams on postcards but not ones surrounded by flowers.

Shabby Anne said...

Hi Viv, if I may call you that. I really liked this post and the pictures were superb. Thank you also for leaving a comment about Fail Friday (it in it's self was a bit of a failure). I am new to blogging and only have 10 followers, so onwards and upwards I say.

Vive La Blogesphere! hehe

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails